The 8-week mindfulness course (MBSR/MBCT) is a course in simple meditation practices that can help us become more present to our experience and manage thoughts, emotions and body sensations more effectively.
In the course you will learn:
- to cultivate awareness and be less caught up in negative thought, feeling and behaviour patterns
- to develop more helpful responses to stress
- simple meditation practices which can transform daily life, including sitting meditation, body scanning and mindful movement
The course comprises 8x2hr sessions and a 6hour day retreat. There will be a 2hr orientation session a week prior to the start of the course (24 hours of teaching/group mindfulness practice in total). The sessions are experiential in nature. Participants are encouraged to share their experiences with the group, although this is not essential. The course provides a safe and supportive environment to explore your experience.
Our approach includes all the key elements of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR), and Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT), which are the gold standard mindfulness courses. Sessions are made up of a combination of mindfulness practices (such as body scanning, sitting meditation and gentle movement), discussions and teaching. We also invite you to develop your own practice through weekly homework (about 45 mins a day). We provide course materials and CDs for you to do this. The cost of the mindfulness course is £350, and the course price includes the orientation session, all eight weekly sessions, a 6-hour retreat day, audio downloads, and course handbook. Pre-registration is essential for all courses.
Upcoming courses are as follows
- For 9 weekly sessions from Wednesday 22nd January 2020 - 6.30pm-8.30pm (first session is an orientation session which can also be taken on the phone - course starts 29th January), with Ed Halliwell, at Hamilton House, WC1. Includes optional day retreat on Friday 6th March* . Early bird price currently available. Book your place.
- For 9 weekly sessions from Tuesday 8th September 2020 - 6.30pm-8.30pm (first session is an orientation session which can also be taken on the phone - course starts 29th January), with Ed Halliwell, at Hamilton House, WC1. Includes optional day retreat on Friday 23rd October 2020* . Find out more.
* The day retreat can be taken on another date / location in London or West Sussex, including weekends.
- We also run regular 8-week courses in Sussex, less than one hour's journey from Central London.
- Please read the Frequently Asked Questions or contact us if you have questions about the course content or whether it will be suitable for you.
Hamilton House is at is at Mabledon Place, London WC1H 9BD, near to the heart of Bloomsbury. It is a short walk from Kings Cross, St Pancras, Euston stations, Russell Square / Euston Square tube stations, and is in easy reach of all central London locations (W1, WC2, EC1, N1, NW1) and tube stations including Great Portland Street, Baker Street, Marylebone, Edgware Rd, Warren Street, Goodge Street, Farringdon, Barbican Old Street, Moorgate, Liverpool Street, Holborn, Oxford Circus, Covent Garden, Leicester Square, Camden Town and Highbury and Islington.
Here are some testimonials from participants in previous Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction courses Ed has taught:
I would recommend this course to anyone and everyone. Meditation could be the most challenging and rewarding ride of your life
Very positive - a definite enhancement in my life. Life-changing, in fact. Ed has been an exemplary teacher.
Extremely beneficial in dealing with stressful life experiences and realising how I have let them condition my life.
Gentle, challenging, informative, worthwhile and a great investment in me.
A very safe, supportive, caring environment.
An excellent course, delivered with great thought and care.
I am really pleased that I am able to practise mindfulness now because I've always been a bit cynical and 'it's not for me' before. It was what I really needed - maybe I resisted because it meant doing things differently.
The retreat was incredible. The surroundings and the sunshine made it even better. The cakes were great! It was a totally self caring time / space.
Beyond my expectations. I've learned that I can manage depression.
The course has given me some good foundations for being in a different way with myself and hopefully others. Thanks for helping me feel awake again.
Opening and enriching - I've been able to include 'bits' of me that I did not like or accept.
Wonderful - it has changed my life and will continue to do so. I've had a door (re)opened into a new way of being. I can see my thoughts much more clearly and accurately.
A pleasant short journey from existing in an internalised world to starting to engage with the external world again.
Very positive! I was certainly a little apprehensive about it at the start but have very much enjoyed being part of the group and sharing / listening to each others' thoughts.
I have learnt to become more in touch with underlying emotions and the importance of tailoring time out from doing.
An immensely positive experience. I am taking my time more, rushing less into things - I don't get impatient in queues, for example. This is extending into big business decisions and reaping big benefits.
I've learnt to be kinder to myself and to stop judging. The retreat day was an extraordinary experience.
Hearing the experiences of others has been incredibly enriching and taught me a huge amount. I didn't expect that!
I've reconnected with joy, serenity and the beauty of life.
I'm more relaxed after learning to be mindful. I feel like I know myself better, and can recognise my feelings.
I've learned how to be kinder to myself... it has helped me be less impulsive and perhaps less irrational then before.